BLOGTOBERFEST: Day 2
Do you know the site, On this Day in History? You can enter any day of the year and it will provide you with a list of events, birth dates and deaths with the year they occurred. SO you can see what happened in the world on the day you were born, etc.
Today is my brother-in-law’s birthday. He is a bit of a history buff, like myself, so I thought I’d highlight a few tidbits I pulled from the site for his birthday, October 2nd:
- 1789 – George Washington transmits the proposed Constitutional amendments (The United States Bill of Rights) to the States for ratification.
- 1869 – Mahatma Gandhi [Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi], born in Porbandar Kathiawad India, pacifist and spiritual leader, (d. 1948)
- 1895 – 1st cartoon comic strip is printed in a newspaper
- 1910 – 1st 2 aircraft collision (Milan Italy)
- 1921 – NY Yankee Babe Ruth hits then record 59th HR
- 1944 – Nazis crush Warsaw Uprising killing 250,000 people
- 1950 – Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz first published
- 1955 – “Alfred Hitchcock Presents” premieres
- 1967 – Thurgood Marshall sworn in as 1st black Supreme Court Justice
- 1990 – Radio Berlin International’s final transmission (links to Deutsche Welles of West Germany); final song is “The End” by Doors
I’m off to see what happened on July 17th (my day!)–