(originally posted August 23, 2011)
It’s not really a redo, that was done last year, but this month, it got a definite up-do, or upgrade, anyway, with two great projects!
Today: Project #1, Making a Recessed Sewing Table (a Project ANYONE could do!)
I started with this, my Ikea bookcase and table that I’ve used for sewing for almost two years.
A shot of my studio in June 2010
But when I needed to do any quilting, especially free-motion quilting, I would pull out a little drop center table from JoAnn’s to put my machine in. However, the Janome was too large to fit into the table from JoAnn’s. And quilting with the machine too high was just too hard on my neck and shoulders to quilt for very long. So… I traced the footprint of my Janome onto the table top, and my sweetie got a jigsaw and drill out,
and cut a big hole in the table. We figured the worse that could happen is that we would ruin a $55 Ikea table, and have to replace it. The core of the table was a paper cardboard honeycomb core, with two 1x3s running lengthwise for added support…
Sweetie added some more 1×3 strips to enclose the exposed core, added wood filler, sanded, primed, painted and eventually we added this shelf, attached with 4″ L-brackets to the table. Here it is without the machine sitting in it:
and voila– A recessed sewing table, custom fit for my Janome Horizon! As you can see, there is extra space to the right of machine, that I allowed for access to the power cord, feed dog switch and power switch. Remember to take that into consideration when determining the footprint of your own machine:
I removed the feet from the plexiglas table that came with my machine and made sure the machine would sit just high enough above the surface of the Ikea table to accommodate it–a perfect fit! If your machine doesn’t have a plexiglas insert, you can have one custom cut at a local hardware store, or glass shop. Just make sure they have a very accuratetracing of the bed of your machine.
We finished this project on Saturday afternoon, and I spent much of Sunday sewing, it was such a pleasure to have the machine at the correct height for a change! I think I could sew an entire day without feeling any strain in my shoulders. A very nice UPGRADE, indeed.
Of course, once we finished I needed to clean the shelves and rearrange everything (sawdust everywhere!) but they needed cleaning and reorganizing anyway.
DIY Tutorials for the other parts of my sewing studio:
Project #2; a sassy new cutting table with storage!
DIY Design Wall anyone can make!
Big Board Ironing Board Tutorial
Fabric Storage (Stash Management)