Made with scraps from last Christmas’
Rocket Men project
… an improvisational, Space-themed quilt for my nephew (who never got his own Baby quilt when he joined our family in 2008, so he gets a fun toddler quilt!)
I fussy cut scraps from the Prints Charming fabrics I used to make the rockets, and framed that out in various shades of blue… Then free-handed a rocket ship which I machine appliqued (raw-edge) after fusing on. The stars and the moon are also scraps from the Prints Charming line.
I tried a new free-motion quilting technique, trying to get a cloud, or atmospheric look behind the spaceship. What do you think?
This is what I put on the back, from the 2009 In the Beginning “Rocket Scientist” line:
I could not have asked for a better reaction…
That’s my sister, and baby Jonah immediately “cuddling in”! He did pause to pose with his gift, just like a champ, though!
The color roll his big brother received was a big hit as well…
He moved to his table right away to “get to work”!
See? This is why I love to make gifts!
See that little guy in the center, in the plaid shorts and green sweater? Isn’t he adorable, like he’s playing hide-and-seek or peek-a-boo?! And see those sweet little bluebirds and bumble bees? I love this fabric, it’s called “scouts” by Alexander Henry. It’s been in my stash for a while, and not wanting to chop it up too much, I mad e acute little asymmetrical, improvisational boy quilt showcasing the fabric in all it’s glory.
I’m also a big fan of that orange and white starburst fabric in the strips that surround my row of different sized coins.The quilting on the strippy side is straight line, and over the scouts fabric I stippled (I’m even getting pretty good at that!)
The backing a sweet. soft flannel, that I got some time ago from JoAnn’s. And the binding is a scrappy orange pieced binding, incorporating several of the fabrics I used in the coins. I’m really liking this quilt, and might even be a little sad to give it away in the next few weeks…
…not that I have any use for it, myself…
This week I made some progress on getting two baby/toddler tops quilted, I finished the tops back in September on a retreat. It has taken me a while to get back to them after moving. I basted them both on Sunday, and have almost finished quilting this one:
All blues and oranges to showcase that great Alexander Henry print, which I think is called “scouts”. More photos soon!
I had a little help while basting that one…(yes, that is my batting he has burrowed under)
It’s no wonder it takes me so long to get anything done! I used up scraps of my Prints Charming rocket fabrics that I made the rocket men from last Christmas to create this one:
Hopefully I will get it quilted this weekend.That’s all I have to show for now… So head on over and wish Leah a big Happy Birthday for me! She’s heading up the Giving Thanks Challenge that I’m participating in this month. Go! Now!
The Squares Squared quilt is complete…finished the binding Saturday morning about 25 minutes before my shift at the shop began.
The back is a tone-on-tone pink bubbles print from the “Mother Goose” line…
The front is primarily from the “Rhumba” line by Windham Textiles, with a few accent prints thrown in, such as the tangerine swirls from the “Clementine” line…
Finished size is 42″ x 50″.
It’s been a productive week in the sweatshop…I managed to piece together my Squares Squared quilt top, and will hopefully get it quilted this weekend. Am loving the summertime “sherbet” colors in this quilt!
I didn’t get the greatest full shot of the quilt top, but the one above is most of it, caught between “blowin’ in the wind” yesterday afternoon.
One of my re-upholstery projects is finished as well…pics to follow soon. And this landed on my doorstep on Wednesday, and the wheels are turnin’ with lots of new projects…
Love this Tree of Life quilt…
and this one is my fave!
Be. Still. My. Heart.
Rhumba is a new line for Windham Fabrics by Rosemarie Lavin…full of great “rainbow sherbet” type colors, with accents of chocolate brown…yum! It came in last week to the shop I work for parttime, and I volunteered to make up a store sample with it. I wish I had better photos, some of these prints are fabulous…
I love that mosaic print, it looks like a Byzantine mosaic tile floor…gorgeous! A few of the prints here are not from the Rhumba line, but about 80% of them are.
So, this week in the evenings after work I have whipped up 53 square-in-a-square blocks in three different sizes, and have them all laid out on my living room floor (i.e. my high-falootin’ design wall) ready to get pieced together into a quilt top hopefully this evening. Everytime I walk past it, I move a block or two around, looking for a more eye-appealing arrangement…it’s sort of like an explosion of bright colored squares all over the floor right now.
I’ve been working on another project in the meantime, a re-upholstery project that I should have some great before-and-after photos of soon…here’s a sneak peak to whet your appetite: