That Suits Me Just Fine

I set a goal of Father’s Day to finish this commission project, made from the suit jackets and pants of my customer’s father-in-law.  I finished it Saturday, the day before Father’s Day and delivered it to the happy customer the following day.

The borders and the binding are a batik, in steel grey, slate and rust colors… very masculine, and it set the suitings off just perfectly.  The center squares are two different alternating fabrics, one is a blue linen/poly blend and the other a synthetic blue suede.  On the reverse is a tweedy flannel, rust colored to pull out the browns in the quilt…

I considered many different options for quilting, but decided on a straight line grid, echoing the lines of the blocks themselves.  I used a grey/slate variegated Aurifil thread on top, that seems to compliment the colors of the quilt just enough.

When I delivered the quilt, the new owner immediately carried it into the formal dining room (that had served as her FIL’s bedroom before he passed away) and threw it over the back of a large, stuffed, rust leather chair–where it will live.  It looked like it had been made for that spot, and I’d never even laid eyes on the room before that moment.

Advertisements

Peek-a-Boo!

See that little guy in the center, in the plaid shorts and green sweater? Isn’t he adorable, like he’s playing hide-and-seek or peek-a-boo?! And see those sweet little bluebirds and bumble bees? I love this fabric, it’s called “scouts” by Alexander Henry. It’s been in my stash for a while, and not wanting to chop it up too much, I mad e acute little asymmetrical, improvisational boy quilt showcasing the fabric in all it’s glory.
I’m also a big fan of that orange and white starburst fabric in the strips that surround my row of different sized coins.The quilting on the strippy side is straight line, and over the scouts fabric I stippled (I’m even getting pretty good at that!)
The backing a sweet. soft flannel, that I got some time ago from JoAnn’s. And the binding is a scrappy orange pieced binding, incorporating several of the fabrics I used in the coins. I’m really liking this quilt, and might even be a little sad to give it away in the next few weeks…

…not that I have any use for it, myself…

Finally, some time to sew…

This weekend I managed to get some projects finished up. I finished 12 flannel receiving blankets for the Christian Appalachia Project…

A great opportunity to use up some of the adorable juvenile flannels from my stash…


And I added a few finishing stitches to my Dragonfly Dreams baby quilt to send off with the receiving blankets…

It was even nice enough to photograph these outdoors this weekend!

The dragonflies aren’t just random…they were inspired by the dragonflies in the tan border strip which you can sort of see in this detail shot…

For more information on this worthy cause…visit the home of Mountain Baby Quilts.

There have been a lot of healthy, happy, and fortunate babes born into my life in the last decade or so, a few of them had touch and go starts, and some serious health issues early on, but in the end they are all healthy and thriving. My nieces, nephews, and children of my friends are a joy and a treasure. For that I am grateful and will be sending this donation parcel off this week in their honor, with a truly thankful heart.